Lynn's Chana Masala (untested)

Ingredients
  • Oil
  • 1 Onion, diced
  • Garlic, smooshed (enough)
  • 1 Jalapeno, diced
  • 1 can Diced tomato
  • 1-2 c Vegetable or chicken stock
  • 1 can Chickpeas
  • Ginger (1" fresh, or half a mess of powder?)
  • Garam masala (a mess)
  • Cumin seeds (half a mess)
  • Ground cumin (a mess)
  • Ground coriander (a mess)
  • Turmeric (half a mess)
  • Cayenne powder (to taste)
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • (optional) Cilantro
Instructions
  • Heat a big pan to medium-ish (I like a french/dutch oven)
  • Heat oil in pan.
  • Add cumin seeds, cook 30 seconds.
  • Add onion and jalapeno.  Add spices (garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, turmeric).
  • Cook until soft and mushy (5-10 minutes), stirring as occasionally.
  • Add ginger, cayenne, and tomatoes.  Cook until gravy-like (5-10 minutes?).
  • Add stock, chickpeas, and garam masala.
  • Mix and adjust spices to taste.
  • Cook until thickened (5-10 minutes).
  • Garnish with cilantro
N.B. a "mess" is roughly a tablespoon, I think

Eat him with naan or rice or on a pita, or by himself. I'm not your dad.

Comments